Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2013

[vegan mofo day 14] Lentils Shepherd's Pie and Baby Shepherd's Pie

I love shepherd's pie. I think it's one of the most comforting foods. I don't know if it's the mashed potatoes or the fact that it's baked (I love baked foods), or the combination of moist filling and soft, silky layer, but I just like it. On one Thanksgiving, my MIL made a vegan shepherd's pie as a main dish for me. It was awesome. Who needs turkey for Thanksgiving if there's shepherd's pie (well, I don't want turkey if I had only salad and bread anyways but you know what I mean :) ).

I made the filling by sauteing diced carrots, green beans, corn and lentils. I seasoned them with celery seeds, sage, fennel seeds, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, salt and pepper. The fennel seeds added an interesting kick to the taste and I liked it. Sorry I didn't really measure any of the ingredients, so there's no recipe.

I also made a baby version of shepherd's pie. This turn out to be really cute and tasty :)
I happened to have all the ingredients pureed or diced in the freezer already so I just needed to assemble them. Pretty easy but looks... can I say impressive?

Baby Shepherd's Pie 
ingredients
1 Tablespoon each of pureed lentils, green beans
1 Tablespoon of steamed carrots, diced into tiny pieces
a tiny amount of olive oil
2 Tablespoons of mashed potato
(I'd add some herbs if I've introduced them already)

1) mix the vegetables and lentils with a small amount of olive oil in a warm pan
2) place the vegetable mixture in an oven safe container
3) place the mashed potato over the vegetable mixture
4) baked in the oven for about 10 minutes at 400F
5) Serve at a room temperature or chilled (not directly from the oven. it'll be too hot for little ones!)
 
 As always please make sure your baby can tolerate all the ingredients and consult with your pediatrician if you have any concerns.


No comments:

Post a Comment